Cookies are small data packets that websites send to our devices which keeps the track of our website’s visits and activities.
What do browser cookies do?
There are first party cookies and third-party cookies. First party cookies are placed by the website visited and third-party cookies placed by advertisers which shows particular content for particular target. They show us ads even when we leave the original site.
What do cookies used for?
Authentication: Cookies help in recognizing you when you sign in. For example, amazon uses the cookie information to provide product recommendations, showing personalized content, enable single click to purchase and provide other customized features and services.
Customized content: Cookies helps the website in delivering content relevant to our interests. It is used to customize user’s experience on a website. When user re visits the websites, it becomes it becomes easier to navigate. It ensures users find what they are looking for.
E.g.: Amazon website explains that their shopping cart won’t work until certain cookies are accepted.
The things website should inform us before installing cookies in our system are:
- Clearly indicate which action will signify consent. Guidelines states that scrolling and continued browsing on a website is not a valid content and a website must show a cookie banner without any pre-selected checkbox.
Global privacy laws allows the user to
- Controlling who has access to this information
- Cancel consent to save this information any time
- Refuse to accept unnecessary cookies that collect data that is personal identification information.
- Why the cookies are being used
- What specific information they are collecting
- How that data is being shared and being used
- How to cancel the consent to save this information
- How to delete cookies
Cookie banner examples: non-compliant and compliant
Below is example of a compliant banner:
he user can easily opt in and out from the website to save cookies. It allows the user to see more detailed information about what cookies are being used by the website.